Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 4 cloves of garlic, in the skin
- 5 carrots, cut into pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into pieces
- acorn squash, peeled and cut into pieces
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 stick of butter
- 8 tbsp of flour
- 3-4 cups skim milk/half and half mix
- salt and pepper
- preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- toss all vegetables, garlic and salt in a plastic bag with the olive oil until well coated
- spread out on two cookie sheets, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- roast about 18-25 minutes, toss occasionally
- while the veggies are roasting, heat up the chicken stock in a microwave
- when veggies are finished roasting, place 1/3 of the vegetables in a blender along with some warm chicken stock.
- blend until vegetables are well chopped but not pureed.
- pour vegetable blend into a separate bowl and repeat until all the vegetables have been blended.
- in a dutch oven over medium heat melt the butter, add flour and make a roux.
- to the roux, slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- reduce the heat and add the vegetable blend. adjust thickness of the soup by adding more milk or chicken broth.
last Friday, Shelby came over and we made this delicious soup for dinner. it was slightly sweet and a perfect way to warm up from the MN winter. it was also a terrific leftover.